Re: php4 / php5 unable to locate module

On 9/11/06, Zbigniew Szalbot <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Curt Zirzow wrote:
Hello,

> > I would appreciate your help. I am trying to get php and apache work
> > together and have a strange error while starting apache:
> >
> > Can't locate API module structure `php4_module' in file
> > /usr/local/libexec/apache2/libphp5.so: Undefined symbol "php4_module"
>
> How did you install both php and apache?

Thanks for such a fast response. I used portinstall. I did have apache
1.3.37 at the beginning but it later turned out that for some reason I
will have to upgrade for apache 2.x so I ran pkg_delete and the went for
apache2.

This is where port understanding comes in handy, I avoid port
installation of my server level of applications (php/apache/db).

If I understand correctly you first did a portinstall to get
apache/php4 installed and then did a pkg_delete to remove those old
versions and then added portinstall php5.  What seems to be happening
is that you have an apache version that is trying to load php4 but
php5 is installed and thus the error. There are two options i think
will help:
 1) start over
 2) ensure there arn't any current port issues (via the bsd port mailing list)

Or
 1) install php/apache/(db) manually and manage updates yourself.

What ever is the case it is obvious that you have conflicting
(configuration/installation)'s.

You might also want to try some bsp-port resources on searching for
what is going wrong.

HTH,
Curt.