Re: Re: Newbie question about <?= ?>

tedd wrote:
At 4:56 PM +0100 9/11/06, Stut wrote:
How bored am I?

This bored: http://dev.stut.net/phpspeed/

Server is running PHP 5.1.2 (really should upgrade that) with no caches of any sort.

-Stut

Which begs the question, does it make much of a difference? (not you being bored, but the rather speed concers).

With all the things out there that can slow your browsers reaction time in presenting some result, does a couple of seconds count much in the over all scheme of things?

I know, purest will say that they want to make whatever they do as fast as possible, but is that time to make it faster be better spent elsewhere? We used to have to worry about the size of our strings, but now we can place the kjv of the bible in one. So, what's the point of counting characters in strings now?

I suspect at some point, probably soon, speed isn't going to matter much.

Opinions?

I would have to agree. Having watched the server CPU load while playing with this test script it would appear that the performance can be skewed a lot more by that than by the method you use for squidging out the output.

As a curiosity I've also added a test using <?php print $x; ?> and bizarrely that appears to be slightly faster than <?=$x?>.

Weird.

-Stut