Re: Recommendations for PHP debuggers?

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 00:26, Lester Caine wrote:
> Larry Garfield wrote:
> > I'm watching this thread closely myself, as I'd love something to use at
> > home (on Linux) that doesn't cost what Zend does. :-)  Currently I use
> > PHPeclipse, but it is frankly not that good (the code assistance feature
> > is rudimentary at best), and I've not setup the debugger yet.  That, and
> > Eclipse itself is just a dog slow memory hog.
>
> It would have been nice if PHPEclipse had been given the support it
> needed to become the 'preferred' PHP addon for Eclipse rather than being
> kneecapped by Zend who only want to promote their commercial interests.
>

> PHPEclipse does it's job well, and is much more feature rich than
> PDP-IDE. Had a little more support been given then we would have a
> totally free IDE and would not be waiting for features that still need
> to be written in PHP-IDE :(
>
> I switched to PHPEclipse some time ago, and it does all that I need. I
> had a debugger working at one time, but now all the 'debugging' is done
> via inline functions rather than having to knobbly operation with an
> external tool. I've not had to 'single step' a module for some time ;)

Whether it's PHPEclipse or Eclipse itself I don't know, but in ZDE I get code
completion for every core function/class and every function/class/method in
the current project virtually instantly.  It's so rare for me to see any sort
of code completion in PHPEclipse that it usually gets in my way more than
anything else, and it's keyboard interaction is very intrusive.

OK, I know I'm coming from the top so I expect a great deal, but at this point
Kate seems like a better option. :-)

(I'll try to get the PHP-IDE thing to work again when I"ve more time and see
how it goes.)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx		ICQ: 6817012