Re: Re: Max File Upload

On Wed, August 16, 2006 4:11 am, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> I can't rembmer but does Apache have a max size that is independant of
> PHP? Perhaps you'll need to set both?

Apache has a limit on POST size, which is a super-set of your file
upload size limit.

> While on the topic, is there a nice way to show users progress when
> file
> uploads occur?

Get a better browser? :-)

> This could be client side/javascript etc. but to upload
> 20Meg file will take a while so some form of feedback is important
> IMO.

There are hooks in PHP in CVS for this.

There are several source patches on-line for PHP to do this.

To this day, I believe it is on the BROWSER to do this, not the
SERVER, for reasons obvious to anybody who thinks about this for more
than 10 seconds.

> What is the absolute maximum that is sensible to use? Are there any
> other techniques to use (e.g. Applet etc.).

Depends on user's bandwidth (dialup or T1?) and your bandwidth mostly.

I suppose it's possible you have an overwhelemed server where
bandwidth is not the choke-point, but it seems unlikely...

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm