RE: break up variable and put each element in an array

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 16:36:36 -0500, Richard Lynch wrote:
> On Fri, August 11, 2006 3:11 am, Ivo F.A.C. Fokkema wrote:
>> Well, if it's true that some browsers on some platforms ignore the W3C
>> standard, I guess we could use:
>
> Or perhaps these browsers pre-date W3C standards. :-)

Sure, but in newer versions, they might update their code to follow
the standards after all... wouldn't they?

>> $datelist =
>> str_replace(array("\r\n","\n","\r"),'<BR>',$_POST['datelist']);
>
> Two problems here.
>
> This assumes a specific undocumented ordering to the replacement in
> processing the array argument.  If, for some insane reason, the PHP
> implementation of str_replace chooses to process that input array in
> reverse order, you would end up with double <BR> for "\r\n" input. This
> is incredibly unlikely, but it's NOT (yet) documented that the arrays
> are processed in order.

True; and I haven't tested the code either, to be honest. I found the
basic implementation on a forum somewhere and adapted it to the
threadstarter's need.

I might try and see if I could submit a documentation bug on this. I think
it's a useful feature and you're right to claim that since it's not
documented, one should not rely on it.

> The next problem is that replacing newline (in any form) with <BR> on
> the INPUT phase of your program is just a Bad Idea. :-)
>
> (...)
>
> Because someday you may want to output that same data to RSS, XML, or
> XYZ, in which case <BR> is NOT what you want for your newlines.

Hey, totally agree here, BUT, the threadstarter doesn't mention it being
put in a database. Actually, he just requests it to be written on a new
line in the output. I just provided him a way of doing this.

I always store the input directly in the database (quoted, then, of
course) and replace \r\n with <BR> when needed (display on screen). I've
had no problems by strictly using \r\n yet. But as I have an open source
project, I assume someone will (be telling me||submit a bug) if they have
problems. In that case, I will implement a non-W3C compliant hack ;)