Re: OT? Verifying mail was received

At 4:24 PM -0500 8/12/06, Richard Lynch wrote:
On Thu, August 10, 2006 9:59 pm, tedd wrote:
 Not a php solution, but send them all a buck via PayPal. For $90
 you'll learn if their email addresses are correct.

This assumes a much higher market penetration for PayPal than it has,
I think...

I don't think penetration is at issue here. The point was to have PayPal send the emails with a buck enticement -- similar to sending first class mail -- if the address is wrong, you'll get your mail back saying so.

I know I definitely would not get the email from PayPal, much less the
$1, because I gave up on PayPal ages and ages ago.

Not because of any inherent problem with PayPal itself, but because
the sheer volume of phishing/spam claiming to be PayPal made it
impossible to find the legitimate PayPal traffic, which made PayPal
useless to me.

Different strokes for different folks. I've had very good experience with PayPal personally and with selling things via several sites world wide -- it works for me.

And while phishing is a problem with almost all banking, inspection of the sending url and knowing what PayPal *would and would not do* makes is easy for me to separate legitimate correspondence from spam. Furthermore, it appears that PayPal (unlike most online-banking) has a spam reporting process that is pretty effective in combating that sort of thing.

I'm not sure what I would do without PayPal.

tedd

--
-------