Re: OT? Verifying mail was received

At 11:48 AM -0700 8/10/06, Chris W. Parker wrote:
Hello,

I have about 90 customers who have created accounts but not yet
activated them in the past 11 months. That's less than one every 3.6
days but compared to our total number of customers, it's right at the
edge of being a significant number.

I'm curious to find a way to determine if the mail was actually
delivered to the customer's mailbox. I know there are many factors
involved in this, the most difficult of which being spam filters.

One method I thought of was to put a web bug in the email which will
effectively tell me if the email was read or not. Perhaps by the time
the customer gets the click-this-link-to-activate-your-account email
they've lost interest and ignore it. Or maybe they do in fact read it
but they just don't click. A web bug will help me to determine this.

On the other hand, a web bug won't tell me if the mail actually reached
their inbox. The only way I can come up with to even closely determine
this is to monitor my sendmail logs for proof that their mail server (at
the very least) accepted the message.

Has anyone implemented something like this already and have code to
share with regards to parsing the sendmail log? Or are there more clever
or more simple ways to do this out there?

Thanks!
Chris.

Chris:

Not a php solution, but send them all a buck via PayPal. For $90 you'll learn if their email addresses are correct.

That should be cheaper than writing a program to figure it out for you, if it can be done.

tedd

--
-------