Re: OT? Verifying mail was received

On Thu, August 10, 2006 1:48 pm, Chris W. Parker wrote:
> I have about 90 customers who have created accounts but not yet
> activated them in the past 11 months. That's less than one every 3.6
> days but compared to our total number of customers, it's right at the
> edge of being a significant number.

Keep in mind that for many mere mortals, the process of dealing with
your email confirmation goes like this:

1. surf to site, put in email
2. check email, find nothing.
4. success!

So of those 90 customers, at least some of them are activated, only
under a different email, rather than diving into spam filters and all
that.

Virtually all the things you COULD do to attempt to monitor the email
getting read or not will drastically INCREASE the odds that the email
will get marked as spam and trashed before they CAN open it.

Perhaps it would be better to allow for an optional phone number by
the visitor to be put in, that you can call if they don't activate
their account, to help them out.

90 phone calls is a lot of calls, but it probably beats having fewer
activations because your tracking attempts get your emails banned.

Just a thought.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm