Re: Multiple Includes vs. One Long Include (Functions)

On Tue, August 8, 2006 3:30 pm, Kevin Murphy wrote:
> I was just wondering if there was any thought one way or another on
> the best practice for doing this.
>
> Lets say I have 10 functions that I want to reuse on my site. Not
> every page needs every function. So I move the function to an
> external page and then require it for the page.
>
> The question is, is it better to have all 10 of those functions in a
> single file that is called once from each PHP page, even though some
> will not be used, or is it better to put one function per include and
> then on each PHP page call just the functions that I need for that
> page?
>
> require ("all10.php"); // one long page, but only called once.
>
> vs.
>
> require ("function1.php");	// multiple short pages with multiple
> calls.
> require ("function2.php");
> require ("function4.php");
> require ("function6.php");
> require ("function8.php");

You'd have to test on your own hardware to be 100% certain, but...

Finding and opening up a file in the OS is very very very expensive.

PHP reading and parsing a function is fairly cheap.

You'd need a hell of a lot more than 10 functions before splitting the
file was a Good Idea, on *most* platforms.

Now, you start talking about having your files on a RAMDisk or
something like that, and this advice goes out the window... :-)

YMMV

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm