To: "Andy" <frum@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "WeberSites LTD" <berber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 10:58 AM
Subject: Re:  Image list performance ISSUE

Andy wrote:
Sorry for the late answer,

I have different applications and the users are kept in DB so I cannot make for every user a directory. I made a solution with .htaccess from apache and redirection to a php script that outputs the image if the user has rights to the images.

I will still have to check the performance of the system in this case, but I think it will be the same.

The performance Issue that I asked was:
Is there a difference if apache sends the image or If I output it with php with readfile.

Yes there will be a difference.

If apache sends the image, it just does:

- is the path valid?
- send it.

If you use readfile, apache has to fire up php, process the php script which then sends the image (which means another handle to read the file and so on), so there is a big difference between the two.

Depending on how busy your server is, it may or may not be measurable but there is a big difference in terms of processing.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/