Re: Sending data to persistent process stdin

Ville Mattila wrote:
> How could I use PHP and its process functions to send something to stdin
> of a persistent process? I would like to run mpg123 only once,
> whichafter a few PHP scripts would send data and proper commands to its
> stdin. Maybe a kind of daemon process would be needed? Anyway, sending
> data to a daemon can be problematic... Maybe a kind of socket wrapper?
> Well - I have no experience about socket functions of PHP...
>
> Tips and tricks are welcome, or should I just go to the local hi-tech
> market and by a CD player LOL :D

I would probably approach this in one of two ways.

1) Find out how to create a named pipe and start mpg123 to take its
input from that named pipe. Your PHP scripts can then write commands to
that pipe.

2) Write a daemon that starts mpg123 and listens on a local socket. Your
PHP scripts send commands to that socket and the daemon passes them to
the running mpg123.

IMHO option 1 would be a lot more stable than option 2, but both should
work quite well.

-Stut