Re: Re: PHP Frameworks - Opinion

Hello,

on 08/03/2006 05:18 PM Martin Alterisio said the following:
>> Anyway, you may want to read this more in depth reflection of the state
>> of the PHP framework world and recommendations on how to pick what suits
>> best for you:
>>
>> http://www.phpclasses.org/blog/post/52-Recommended-PHP-frameworks.html
>

> Sorry to intrude with my usual obnoxious behaviour, but this is starting to
> affect my self-esteem (what's left of it). Am I the only one who has a
> really hard time reading the blog posts in phpclasses.org? Everytime a
> reference to this blog is posted I lose track of the discussion, because I
> can't really grasp what Lemos is talking about.
>
> I'd like to make some some constructive criticism, not just to Lemos but to
> the community in general, since I think many of us need to improve our
> writing skills:
>
> 1 - Don't make loooong boooring posts.

This blog in reality is the site monthly announcement newsletter. Some
months there is more to tell than in others. I usually put a list of
contents when the post is about many subjects.

> 2 - Get to the point. Introduction are great when they are not two pages
> long.

I don't know what you mean by introduction. Usually there is a summary
that goes in the RSS feed that is no longer than 3 or 4 paragraphs.

> 3 - Stick to the topic. Or use appropiate titles.

> 4 - If the topic is inherently long, use distinguishable headers and
> subheaders. It's a pain in the ass to read a 5 pages long article that
> looks
> the same everywhere, with no easy way to know what is the subtopic of what
> are you reading now.

As I said, these posts often cover many topics. It may not seem by topic
sections use titles. The problem is that this newsletter posts used to
go by e-mail to the site subscribers in plain text, so there was no way
to format titles.

Anyway, now that you mentioned it I applied an additional regular
expression to add title formatting when presenting it in the site. Just
let me know if it looks ok now.

> 5 - Don't talk so much about your life! You can always make another blog
> for
> that... Unless your personal experience can bring an unique insight of the
> point you're trying to make.

I suppose you may be talking about other peoples blogs. Personal blogs
are supposed to be personal. This is the PHPClasses site blog. Usually
it covers matters about the site developments and matters of interest to
the site users. It does not talk about my life. It may talk about my
experience when it is relevant to the post topic.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.metastorage.net/