PAYMENT TRANSACTION

How are you all?
I hope some body can give me some references for internet payment.
I made a kind of shopping cart in my project; even though I was doubt in making it caused I don't have any idea how to make internet
transaction. But I just heard from a friend of mine that we can 'join' with special web site which handles payment transaction.
I'll be pleasure if some body can give references about this issue which explains how to collaborate with them step by step.
Thank you guys..

                     Best Regards