Re: PHP 5....

Ryan A wrote:
> Hi,
> Something strange and dont really know what to expect so was hoping you more experienced PHP 5 people can help me out.

btw which minor version of php5 your running is important ... plenty of things have changed in [semi] breaking ways
between minor php5 versions.

> We have been given a development server thats running php5 with MySql Client API version 5.0.22 (didnt know there was one that high)
>
> the problem is, we have to develop on this and then when its done the app will be moved to a php 4 final server...
>
> I have been reading and i see that there are some php4 functions that act strange on php5 (like strpos)

what's wrong with strpos() in php5? are you perchance using multibyte strings without using the mb_string
function overloading stuff?

> are there any other things I should be aware of?

the fact that objects are always references in php5 and in php4 you have to use '&' everwhere to
make sure your always talking to the same object (using the '&' notation in php5 will give you NOTICEs or WARNINGS
depending on the minor version)

that and a million other little things like certain functions not being available :-)

> If you think it would be too much of a hassle, do you think i should request the admin to install php 4 instead and scrap this installation?

YES. *at the very least* it will be a pain to dev on php5 and go to production on a php4.

> I have also seen many sites having php4 and 5 on the same machine, this is a windows server, is there any easy way to do that here?

sorry I'm clueless regardless IIS.