Re: Re: Question about constructors and destructors

Richard Lynch wrote:
> On Wed, June 28, 2006 5:07 pm, Jochem Maas wrote:
>> zend.ze1_compatibility_mode is next to useless in practice for
>> anything
>> but the most simple php4 OO code. certainly if you are wanting to
>> use php5 specific OO functionality like __destruct() you should not be
>> using
>> ze1_compatibility_mode.
>
> My understanding of ze1_compatibility_mode is:
>
> "Run this code as if I was using PHP4 OOP with none of PHP5 features
> so I can keep my legacy app running even though I have PHP5
> installed."
>
> I do not think it is (nor can be)
>
> "Magically determine through DWIM-technology what weird mix of PHP4
> OOP and PHP5 OOP the programmer has decided should be implemented"

:-) if they remarketed  DWIM(tm) as OnAWhim(tm) it might catch on.

> So I suspect it would "work fine" for even complicated PHP4 OOP code,
> but as soon as you expect to use a PHP5 OOP feature, results would
> be... "unpredictable"
>
> :-)
>
> But that's just my understanding of what I would expect this setting
> to mean.  I could be way off-base.

great expectations (free pun included) but my experience is that it's not
a bed of roses in practice ... I get the impression the implementation of
ze1_compatibility_mode is a total nightmare (and not a priority either)...
that said complicated php4 OO code has a tendency to not 'work fine' even when
you stick to php4 ;-)