Re: working on a template system...

Robert Cummings wrote:
Simplistic examples don't properly illustrate the mess that occurs in
complex situations.
However, a simplistic example does properly illustrate my point nicely. I could even take one of my complex multi-page smarty templates, run and perl script to convert it, and end up with a PHP template that's just as clean as the Smarty template by virtue of being basically identical.

If you split up your logic and your presentation layers, then your templates can be nice and clean, even if they're written in PHP. It's just much easier to shoot yourself in the foot with a PHP template.

(Again, I have nothing against Smarty or other template systems. I use Smarty all the time, and I quite like it.)

jon