RE: Controlling a scanner with PHP

On Tue, June 27, 2006 9:33 am, Arno Kuhl wrote:
> Stut, that's an interesting point you raised. I know it's moving off
> the
> original topic, but when you say "by no means limited to being used on
> server never mind on a web server", what is it that interprets the
> code and
> where does the output go to, or the input come from? I also thought it
> always had to be run under a web server, and would be interested to
> know
> what the other options/opportunities are.

Well...

Here are a couple interesting non-web applications I know of...

There was this guy who used to attend Chicago PHP User Group meetings
who builds custom cabinets (like for your kitchen).

He was all impressed about his website having page after page of FORMs
to let him know exactly what to build for them...

I found the fact that he AUTOMATICALLY send the output from all the
FORMs into the ASCII input on his PROGRAMMABLE TABLE SAW, so the shop
worker would literally just follow the on-screen instructions to throw
the right chunk of wood up, and the web-site *drove* the table saw,
for all intents and purposes, to be far more interesting, personally.
:-)

Another one that I'm not sure it's all THAT interesting is in my sound
booth which is not a web server, but has a several PHP scripts to
control the conversion of raw .wav files to MP3s and upload them to a
back-end caching server system behind:
http://uncommonground.com/radio_hifi.m3u
so that our web radio works.

The website doesn't REALLY have 150 Gigs of server space for MP3s --
It just seems like it does :-)

PHP GTK alone has all kinds of nifty possible applications with no
webserver in sight.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm