Re: file_exists() behind firewall

At 7:57 AM +0100 6/16/06, George Pitcher wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have several websites that are using a common set of pages (to reduce
>maintenance, development and upgrading) and use configuration files to give
>the customer the feeling that it is their own unique site. The customers are
>all universities and use the sites to manage digitisation and copyright
>permission processes. These sites are all hosted om my company server.
>
>I would like them to be able to see whether a PDF file hosted by their
>universities is available or not.
>
>Using file_exists($url) won't work because the actual PDFs should be sitting
>behind the universities' firewalls.
>
>I think that something working on the client-side, such as JavaScript might
>work, because it would be able to look from the client's machine to the PDF,
>both of which should be behind the firewall to the PDF. However, I haven't
>been able to find any js that looks like it will do that for me.
>
>Does anyone have any constructive suggestions?
>
>MTIA
>
>George in Oxford

George in Oxford:

If it were my problem, I wouldn't use js.

Instead, I would setup cron scripts at each of the universities, which would scan the PDF folders for PDF files once a day and then send a report (files and urls) to a common dB located at your choice.

The common PDF-dB would be a repository for the existence and location of the PDF files and permissions would be granted to those universities and departments wanting to search your PDF-dB.

The only requirement here is that each University place it's PDF's in a location that's known to your cron script AND that a password protection scheme be adapted by those wanting to review IF certain PDF's are available.

Now, if someone searches your PDF-dB and finds a PDF they want to review, it's a simple matter to link and download the file once the url is known.

At least, that's the way I would do it.

You may make a contribution to me via PayPal :-)

hth's

tedd