Re: Using PHP/HTML effectivly

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 03:16, Larry Garfield wrote:

> Another recommendation: Do not, under any circumstances, try to write your own
> template engine.  All you'll be doing is writing a syntax parser in PHP for
> another syntax that will give you fewer options, less flexibility, and worse
> performance than well-used native PHP.
>
> There ARE good PHP based template engines out there (Smarty, Flexy, PHPTal,
> etc.), written by people much smarter than you or I and field tested by
> thousands of people on more sites than you've ever used.  If you want to use
> a non-PHP-syntax for your template files, find one.  Don't write it.  You
> will thank yourself later.

While I understand where you're coming from with this, I think it
depends on your goals. The "smart" or as I prefer "experienced" people
out there that have written complex systems have done so by getting
their feet wet and trying. If you have an idea, the inclination, and the
time then I think it's a great idea to rebuild the wheel. How else would
better wheels come about? :)

Cheers,
Rob.