Re: Using PHP/HTML effectivly

On Thursday 15 June 2006 01:50, Richard Lynch wrote:

> I can guarantee that somebody on this list is going to be agahst at
> this recommendation of such a crude solution -- But it has served me
> well for a decade for SIMPLE WEB APPLICATIONS and is much less effort
> and more maintainable simply by scale/scope of code-base for SIMPLE
> WEB APPLICATIONS.
>
> If you're attempting to write the next Google or something on that
> scale, then this *IS* admittedly a horrible idea.
>
> For a beginner, however, you'll learn a lot more, a lot faster doing
> this than trying to stumble through some over-engineered monstrosity
> template library.
>
> Now I'd better really get out my flame-retardant undies.

Another recommendation: Do not, under any circumstances, try to write your own
template engine.  All you'll be doing is writing a syntax parser in PHP for
another syntax that will give you fewer options, less flexibility, and worse
performance than well-used native PHP.

There ARE good PHP based template engines out there (Smarty, Flexy, PHPTal,
etc.), written by people much smarter than you or I and field tested by
thousands of people on more sites than you've ever used.  If you want to use
a non-PHP-syntax for your template files, find one.  Don't write it.  You
will thank yourself later.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx		ICQ: 6817012