Re: Retrieving Content

Rodrigo de Oliveira Costa wrote:
Actualy I went a slightly diffent way, I tried to use the file()  like
on the script below and I get the content of the whole page but when I
try to get a single line from the array it all goes sideways. Here
goes the script with the correct urls, remembering that I'm using it
on the local server thats why I save it on the file to see if its
getting the right content:

$fc = file('http://www.fanfiction.net/s/979216/1/');
$f=fopen("some.txt","w");

foreach($fc as $line)
{
    if ($line[85])
    { //look for $key in each line
          fputs($f,$line[85]);
    } //place $line back in file
    echo "$line";
}

It shows the whole page but saves on the file something grambled that
I cant identify what it is.

Iknow that when opening the html result of the page that I need to get
the content its the second SELECT, and its actually on line 86, but
since the PHPEd dont use line 0 it should be right. Or I'm missing
something...

Thanks,
Rodrigo
HTML can't be parsed line-by-line since even a single tag can be broken up onto multiple lines. And also, "if ($line[85])" simply checks if there is a character in position 85 of the line. It looks like your code is reading in a file, checking if each line is at least 85 characters long, and then writing it out again.

I suggest you read in the whole file using file_get_contents(), and then do the regex matching or strpos matching that I described in my previous message. Also keep in mind that as of PHP 5 there is a file_put_contents() function that lets you dump out a file in one go (with higher performance than doing it yourself). php_compat also has a copy of that function for other versions of PHP, although of course they do it in PHP code so the performance benefits are slightly less.

Regards, Adam Zey.