Re: Using 'header' as redirect

On Tue, May 30, 2006 1:21 pm, Philip Thompson wrote:
> On May 30, 2006, at 12:52 PM, Stut wrote:
>
>> Philip Thompson wrote:
>>> Ok, I have modified my code a little bit. Stut, yes, output
>>> buffering was on by default (4096). I *think* this will work. It
>>> appears to be the same as before - still redirecting appropriately:
>>>
>>> <!-- index.php -->
>>> <? ob_start(); ?>
>>> <head>...</head>
>>> <?
>>> include ($subPage);
>>> ob_end_flush();
>>> ?>
>>>
>>> The subpage does not change any, only index.php. I am basically
>>> "holding off" on displaying the stuff between ob_start() and
>>> ob_end_flush(), unless it's header information. That way, if the
>>> subpage needs to redirect, it can without errors. Correct?
>>
>> Indeed. Output buffering does exactly what it says on the tin - it
>> buffers the output until the page execution finishes or it's
>> explicitly flushed. Your ob_end_flush call is technically not
>> needed unless you have a reason to end the buffering at that point.
>>
>> -Stut
>
> I was under the impression that if ob_end_flush() was not called,
> then there would be a memory leak. Is this not the case?
>
>  From http://us3.php.net/ob_start :
>
> "Output buffers are stackable, that is, you may call ob_start() while
> another ob_start() is active. Just make sure that you call
> ob_end_flush() the appropriate number of times. If multiple output
> callback functions are active, output is being filtered sequentially
> through each of them in nesting order."

I think the "memory leak" you are considering might just be that if
you don't realize you are stacking things up, you could run out of RAM
fast while it buffers everything.

> Also 4096k... I wonder if that's enough buffering to include all the
> stuff that I want to show? As of right now, it is. Is there another
> standard level of buffering to specify?

I'm not sure the 4096 applies to ob_start() or JUST to the buffer for
php.ini ...

Hopefully it's documented somewhere...

--
Like Music?