Re: Extensions Directory (PEAR/PECL)

Robert Samuel White wrote:
> Please let me know if this would be more appropriate to post in a PEAR or
> PECL forum.  Today, I've been trying to install some extensions - in
> particular, the GD library and the ZIP library.  I've finally managed to get
> it all working, but there was one issue that I'd like to clear up for future
> reference if possible.
>
> When I ran the command:
>
> pecl install zip-1.3.1
>
> It intalled the zip.so file to:
>
> /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20050922/zip.so
>
> The only way I could get zip support working was to put it here:
>
> /usr/local/php/ext
>
> Which is where my extensions directory is located.
>
> I've checked, and the extensions directory is set correctly in the php.ini
> file.
>
> Does anyone know where/how it would come up with this other path?

Hello Robert,

If you wish to receive the best advice for PEAR questions, ask on
pear-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, and for PECL questions (questions that have
to do with the internals of the extension, compilation problems, etc.)
ask on pecl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This problem is easily solved:

pecl config-set ext_dir /usr/local/php/ext

voila.  No need to futz with php.ini or copy the extension (a bad idea -
you have to remember that you did this when you decide to upgrade or
uninstall)

PEAR uses its own configuration file which is independent of php.ini.
Why?  You can use the same PEAR extensions in command-line code and for
web applications.  These often have completely different php.ini
settings for obvious reasons (no need for apache-specific stuff inside
the command-line php).

Greg