Extensions Directory (PEAR/PECL)

Please let me know if this would be more appropriate to post in a PEAR or
PECL forum.  Today, I've been trying to install some extensions - in
particular, the GD library and the ZIP library.  I've finally managed to get
it all working, but there was one issue that I'd like to clear up for future
reference if possible.

When I ran the command:

pecl install zip-1.3.1

It intalled the zip.so file to:

/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20050922/zip.so

The only way I could get zip support working was to put it here:

/usr/local/php/ext

Which is where my extensions directory is located.

I've checked, and the extensions directory is set correctly in the php.ini
file.

Does anyone know where/how it would come up with this other path?

TIA