Re: Encryption Advice

--- Rory Browne <rory.browne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's better if, when it comes to time
> to checkout, you redirect your client
> to your Payment Service Providers (PSP's)
> website, your PSP processes the payment,
> and redirects the client back to your
> site. The PSP would then contact you
> directly to confirm the payment.

> That way there is no CC info on your
> server for you to protect.

I really appreciate all the advice people have given.
So the following questions are designed to try to
fully understand the scenario and what the customer
sees from their viewpoint.

The site that I am trying to fix is absolutely awful
right now. It is certainly not a high volume site,
although I do think if properly designed it could do a
lot more business than it does. It is the site of a
self-published author and I think most people who buy
his books go to Amazon to buy them because the
shopping cart is so bad (he did it himself years ago,
and he is not any kind of web designer or programmer).

The site uses the Hassan Shopping Cart which is a Perl
script. Looking at the script it appears that it can
support some sort of credit card authorization. But
the way he has it set up now it just writes each order
to a plain text file in a "secure" subdirectory
(obviously a very bad idea) and sends him an email
that tells him he has an order on the site to process.
His hosting site is discontinuing support for the
Hassan Shopping Cart, but does support Cardservice
International.

So let's say that I want to integrate a shopping cart
with a PSP, right up to the moment they get to the
checkout, they see my client's URL. They hit the
"Checkout" button and then they will see the URL of
the PSP? Then once they place the order then they are
redirected back to my client's site and see that URL
again? Is that an accurate description of how it
works? Do you normally have control over the "look and
feel" of how the checkout looks on the PSP site?

Excuse me if these are really basic questions, but I
haven't done this before. :)

Thanks again,

Lawrence Kennon