Re: safe_mode

On 5/20/06, tedd <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 9:01 PM -0400 5/19/06, John Hicks wrote:
>tedd wrote:
>>Hi gang:
>>
>>Please excuse me for asking another dumb-ass question, but here goes.
>>
>>I'm finding that setting safe_mode to ON is more difficult than I
>>first thought.
>>
>>In my phpinfo, safe_mode is set to OFF
>>
>-snip-
>
>You would think the fine manual would explain this here:
>http://us3.php.net/manual/en/features.safe-mode.php
>
>Table 42-1. Security and Safe Mode Configuration Directives
>Name: safe_mode
>Default: "0"
>Changeable: PHP_INI_SYSTEM
>
>but you have to look here
>http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ini.php
>to find just what PHP_INI_SYSTEM means:
>
>Table G-2. Definition of PHP_INI_* constants
>Constant: PHP_INI_SYSTEM
>Value: 4
>Meaning: Entry can be set in php.ini or httpd.conf
>
>i.e. *not* in .htaccess or by ini_set()

[ Boy, do I dread posting this. ]

Okay, safe_mode cannot be set by .htaccess or by ini_set(). It can
only be set by the php.ini file -- I get it -- thanks.

So, now I'm trying to get my own php.ini file to work.

I reviewed several links, but the easiest I found to understand was:

http://www.washington.edu/computing/web/publishing/php-ini.html

I didn't see any references that disagreed.

So, as I understand it, one procedure to get a custom php.ini file to work is:

1. Get a php.ini templet.
2. Alter as you like.
3. Place it in your working directory.

I did that, and the results can be viewed at:

http://xn--ovg.com/aaa

However, regardless of what my php.ini file states, the directives I
changed remain unchanged.

What other obvious thing am I not seeing?

php.net/ini says that php.ini in the working directory is only
used if PHP is run from the command line.

For PHP running on the web server, you should edit the
system's php.ini file. You can find the location of this file
with phpinfo(). Look for "Configuration File (php.ini) Path".

Rabin