Re: php-cli and daemon

http://php.net/sockets

>     2)  How to use ssl-certs for the connection?
>         The $USER must use an USB-Key with its one cert.

Ya got me there...

You may want to look into http://gtk.php.net for coding the GUI part
of the stand-alone client application.  And that MIGHT have some
built-in SSL stuff to make this crystal-clear and dead easy...

I'm a bit confused between the deamon, the uploading files, and the
read-only access to the database, personally...

That said, the PostgreSQL documentation probably has pretty clear
description of how to do an SSL connection if it can be done, and
workarounds if it can't:
http://postgresql.org/

You might also consider tunneling all the data, uploads and PostgreSQL
through SSH as a sort of Poor Man's VPN deal...

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm