Re: Views on e-commerce download tracking

At 1:38 PM +0200 5/15/06, Chris Grigor wrote:
Hey all

Was just wondering what others have used on there e-commerce sites to manage digital downloads, for instance how to track if a user succesfully downloaded a complete file from you (what happens if there connection drops halfway through a download)????

Is there something in php / javascript that could do this - javascript:oncomplete_ofdownloadfile send response to server
Anyone have any ideas?

Your views / suggestions are appreciated.
Chris

Chris:

Just a suggestion -- many times I've download digital stuff I purchased. In most cases, the seller just provides a url and I download as I may. If the connection drops, or if I interrupt it, or it doesn't work for some reason or another, then I am free to try again. If after repeated failures, then I'll contact the seller and find another means to get what I purchased.

However, in none of many downloads I've experienced (from memory) showed any signs that the download had been successfully completed.

So, based upon that -- I wouldn't worry about it.

hth's

tedd