Re: Sending a lot of data to remote site

On 5/12/06, Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ryan A wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to send an array of data to a remote site from
> my script, the array will contain anything from 1 to
> 5000 entries of less than 150 alpha numeric characters

you could setup an XML feed that they can request at their leasure.

Ok Ryan, so when I first read your needs, I thought to myself "web
service" (along the lines of Jochem's XML feed concept).  But with my
limited experience with it, I'm hoping others can offer some reaction
to the idea.

So, if you consider SOAP as your web service solution:

a) Using XML eliviates your need to come up with custom serializing
that is careful to not use delimiters that might also be found in your
data.

b) If your client and server machines are running on different
languages (PHP on one, Java on the other, for example), then a WSDL
file will "describe" the structure of your data, so your PHP array
seamlessly becomes a Java array.  No interoperability issues.

c) You may find that after you develop this solution once, you can
easily reuse it elsewhere.

d) SOAP et al also includes a lot of custom error handling, so you
could concievably make your solution a lot more robust.

e) The standard also includes an authentication mechanism.

Ok, so that's what I'm thinking.  I know there's more work involved in
a SOAP solution than a down-and-dirty serialize-and-stream solution,
but down the road it might serve you better.

John W