Re: Good Answers

On Wed, May 10, 2006 2:16 pm, Eric Butera wrote:
> On 5/10/06, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> these issues because they don't even know to consider these things.  I
> still see so many examples passed on that have the ability to inject
> SQL or spam via E-Mail Header injection.  I mean to be fair the php
> manual never mentions that if you don't protect the parameters going
> into mail() injection is possible.
>
> I know the argument always ends up being "The language is there, you
> need to protect yourself from shooting your own foot."  But isn't PHP
> so popular because the barrier into programming with it so low?

I understand that the Manual and our answers could not possibly
anticipate, much less provide advice to avoid, every possible
combination of events that leads to losing one's foot.

That said, if we didn't care about keeping our feet, wouldn't we all
be writing CGI scripts and custom Apache Modules in C?

PHP *has* lowered the "entry barrier" ridiculously low, to the point
where we've got "idiots and English majors" writing really cool
software -- complete with a total lack of any security features
whatsoever.

We've made it so damn easy -- Isn't it our responsibility, to some
degree, to warn users that they really do need to buy those trigger
guards and locked cabinets and store the ammo separately from the
weapon?

This is always a judgement call, but do we really want to spend the
next decade living with the consequences of NOT providing Security
advice to newbies?

zillions of web forms for email feedback with header injections
zillions of XSS attacks

We have to be pragmatic about this and inform users what NOT to do of
the most common mistakes, if only to protect ourselves from the
collateral damage of them shooting their foot off

It's our own inboxes and our own bandwidth, and, ultimately, the
quality of the Internet itself at stake.

If we can document for beginners the most common security mistakes,
and have that documentation "in their face" when they first encounter
the "answer" to what they perceive as their "current problem" surely
that's worth a little effort and the blurring of the line drawn at
just providing the function and leaving the responsibility on the user
to be responsible.

I sometimes think PHP is a like a loaded gun in the hands of a child,
it's just too damn easy to use and to get yourself into serious
trouble SO quickly and easily.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm