Re: Paged Results Set in MySQL DB with one result

On Thu, May 4, 2006 10:15 am, Edward Vermillion wrote:

> On May 4, 2006, at 4:16 AM, Richard Lynch wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 3, 2006 6:57 pm, Jochem Maas wrote:
>>> the marker is either there or not - and if it'd borked (e.g. '<!--
>>> PAGE MAR')
>>> then it would break the page, sure - but so could ANY broken
>>> markup so
>>> the argument
>>> is somewhat moot. besides a routine to strip markers (broken or
>>> otherwise) is
>>> as simple to write as marker splitting function is.
>>
>> I think the assumption is that the article is actually HTML in the
>> databse...
>
> I wasn't making that assumption.

Actually, I wasn't either, initially...

> define('HTML_stored_in_the_DB_for_dynamic_content', 'bad'); // IMHO :)

Yes.  Usually.

Mostly sometimes.

For something like a Forum or a CMS with minimal EZ tags for the admin
on a small-scale site, I'll confess to just tossing HTML into the db.

But not if my site is allegedly a professionally-written series of
articles.

> As a personal note, I prefer to read things that have been broken up
> into logical chunks for me, as opposed to being fed some 2000 word
> essay all at once. I *hate* scrolling. But then I didn't learn to
> read on a computer screen either.

There's truly logical chunks, and there's "we need you to break this
into 10 pages so we can sell more ads, okay?" chunks.

Blech.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm