RE: Test URL length please (Pretty much 0T)

Ryan A <mailto:genphp@xxxxxxxxx>
    on Thursday, May 04, 2006 4:08 PM said:

>> Are you sure you searched on this subject?
>
>> "maximum url length" in Google turns up a number of
>> resources saying "2083" due to IE's limit.
>
> Yes, I mentioned that in my original post...

Yes I know, that's why I said, "are you sure". To question your claim of
having searched.

> but read
> that carefully, it says "IE's limit",not everyone uses
> IE and if you continue sifting through googles results
> you will see that it also mentions some servers
> settings may allow more or less. Infact, your test
> itself proves that it was worth it coz you took it way
> up more than the 2083 limit that you found :-)

Well of course but that's because I wasn't using IE so my point is that
I don't think it matters (that I got over 2083). I would be willing to
say that 3/4 of all internet users are on IE still so tweaking server
settings and testing with browsers other than IE is useless. Unless of
course you know exactly your audience's setup (for example in a
corporate setting where you know your client's setup) in which case this
could possibly be worthwile. But then again if someone is passing long
strings like that they should rethink their implementation anyway... so
back to square one.

Chris.

p.s. <fiddle>If I sound snippy it's because I'm at the office later than
planned because something has not gone as planned...</fiddle>