Re: Avoiding user refresh of pages with forms

On 5/3/06, Satyam <Satyam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I used that method initially, some months ago, but finally dropped it.  It
looked nice at first, but then I started getting into problems and required
too many special cases to make it work.   In the end, it wasn't a clean nor
elegant solution.

Satyam,

Would you care to give some more details as to those edge cases that
swayed you to drop the unique id approach?  I've just recently added
it to my forms (for those that I find need it), in addition to the
redirect method you outlined below.  Those two combined seem to really
go the distance in creating a reliable exchange of data between client
and server, as well as a better experience for the user (since the
form is capable of handling a larger set of error cases).

Also, with regards to sending success/failure messages across the
redirection of your forms, I'd recommend considering sessions for
passing the data.  It keeps your URLs clean, and allows you to send
complex data a bit easier (IMHO).  For example if a user makes an
error on a few different form elements, you can send back an array of
messages to the user without having to serialize/unserialize in the
ugly URL.

-John W