Re: OOP Static Functions vs. Objects

On May 1, 2006, at 8:56 PM, chris smith wrote:

Depending on your content you could cache some of it to static files..

http://pear.php.net/packages.php?catpid=3&catname=Caching

(I'm sure there are tons more packages to do this as well)..

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at right now, although not the pear package per se, and actually that's where a lot of the classes are coming from. I'm working on a cache system for the public side where the traffic will be high. I figure the management side could take a little more processing without hurting anything so I'm throwing all of the work I can there.

I'm still trying to figure out if the cache will cache the actual html, or at least as much as I can, for the pages or if I'm going to cache the page objects. Right now I'm not sure which would be better which is what brought me to the original question.

I know that caching the html would be faster if that's all I had, but the navigation and a few areas are going to be "dynamic" and everything I've seen so far that deals with that sort of thing (Smarty, phpBB, etc) I'm just not real impressed with. Not that they don't work, they're just not "pretty" to me.

Thanks!
Ed