OOP Static Functions vs. Objects

I'm still trying to get my head around all the OOP stuff and was wondering if there is any basic difference between calling a static function as opposed to creating an object, in situations where both methods will do the same thing for you. Is there any overhead to creating an object from a class that might impact time/memory consumption(efficiency), or does PHP treat these two methods the same? I'm currently working with PHP4 but am also curious as to how it works in PHP5.

I.E.:

<pseudoCode>
class Foo {

	var $_vars = array();

	function &setVar1($var) {
		static $localVars = array();
		if (!empty($localVars[$var])) {
			return $localVars[$var];
		} else {
			$localVars[$var] =& new $var();
			return $localVars[$var];
		}
	}

	function &setVar2($var) {
		if (!empty($this->_vars[$var])) {
			return $this->_vars[$var];
		} else {
			$this->_vars[$var] =& new $var();
			return $this->_vars[$var];
		}
	}
}

$result1 =& Foo::setVar1('something');

$bar = new Foo();
$result2 =& $bar->setVar2('something');
</pseudoCode>

Right now I'm working on an object controller type of class, but I can see where I might run into this situation in other areas where storing a value in a static function variable or a class variable would accomplish much the same thing as far as the calling code is concerned.

Any thoughts?

Ed