Re: Totally 0T - Spam

I looked at a few other things, but after dealing with other things,
wanted something in-house that I could also do a "See how good the
system is" and have the data to back it up.  As for the server
resources...  25 users in-house, 15 outside and mailing lists,
dual-processor running RH w/ enough RAM to sink a battleship.  It would
shut-off sendmail, copy the honeypot email to it's temp, touch a new
file in it's place, parse the file, submit all the stuff to SA and
others, then restart sendmail in under 2 seconds.  I was QUITE happy
with it, and after the load off the boss's email he was quite happy.

One of the problems with sending opt-outs is that
1.  not everyone abides by CAN-SPAM
2.  It acknowledges that the email address is valid

Sucking them in and just deleting w/o cause and w/ adding them to known
spammers and such (not just the addresses, but most domains as well)
made for it to run clean w/o acknowledging that they ever made it through.

And after about 10 tripped into the server from a single location, I
made sure to verify then send the ISP the logs of their spamming.  That
always got their attention.

That and my apache sets were nasty to those who tried to run cmd.exe or
kernell or anything like that...  :)

But again, depending on the resources at hand, I'd rather kill the
emails then acknowledge.  If I can't control who gets a bounce or
whatever right away, I don't want it going wherever.

Wolf