Re: strange php url (CORRECTION)

Kevin Kinsey wrote:

Pretty good thoughts, there.  Some years ago, Tim Perdue
(of PHPBuilder and SourceForge fame) had a popular
article on "Search Engine Friendly URL's" (or some such),
in which he described use of the Apache ForceLocal
directive to make a site just One Big Script, parsing
the slashed portions of the query string as variables
(instead of GET, a la "?section=man&term=foo") so that
the browser appears to be accessing documents in subfolders,
but it's really just telling the server to grab a page with certain
values defined in the URI.

It sure looks like a possibility of this or similar magic in
this case.  Of course, I could be way off my tree...

And it appears I was at least *slightly* off my tree. In looking for more info on this, my post (archived in 2 places), was the only reference to a "ForceLocal" directive in Apache that Google could find ;-)

I meant "ForceType", and here's how it works in httpd.conf:

<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName test.foo.com
  DocumentRoot /var/www/data/footest
  ServerAdmin root@localhost
  <Location /manual>
    ForceType application/x-httpd-php
  </Location>
</VirtualHost>

Now, you write "manual" in PHP, (no file extension), and anything directed to "manual" is parsed by said script.

Since I used the wrong terminology, I may have distracted any *real* gurus from recognizing what I was talking about. Sorry for any confusion.

Kevin Kinsey
--
It's hard to think of you as the end
result of millions of years of evolution.