Re: strange php url

Not sure about php.net specifically, but two things to note here:

If you leave off a filename at the end of the URL, the web server will look for a 'default' document.  On apache and unix systems I believe the default is "index.html" and on IIS systems it's something like "Default.htm".  Most of the time there are other options like you might add a "index.php" if your site uses PHP.

The other thing that could happen is they could be using something like the Apache mod_rewrite (some info at http://www.modrewrite.com/ among others) which can dynamically change the requested URL to a more standard URL before sending back to the user.

Something like this:
http://www.testserver.com/tgryffyn/homepage/middlesection

Could be turned into something like:
http://www.testserver.com/userpage.php?user=tgryffyn&page=home#middleanchor

But to the user requesting the page, it'll always look like the first URL.

Forgive me if I got any syntax or capability of mod_rewrite wrong, never used it myself just know that's the general sort of thing that it does.

You might be getting a 404 on using ../manual because they're using mod_rewrite and it didn't know how to deal with "../manual" because "manual" isn't part of a path but actually part of the rewrite rules. and the "../" part of it didn't fit into those rules or got translated to a non-existant page

This:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.checkdnsrr.php/manual/

Might become something like (ignoring everythin after the function reference):
http://www.php.net/manual.php?l=en&function=checkdnsrr

I'm not sure why you'd get a 404 by changing the second 'manual' to '../manual' but could have something to do with rewrite rules or something.

Just some thoughts.

-TG