Help!

Hi all - I am attempting to solve some maddening behaviour that has me
totally stumped and before I take a blade to my throat I thought I would
pick the brains of the group/hive/gang.

I am working on a viral marketing application that uses multipart emails to
notify entrants of their progress in the 'game'. I have a demo version which
works fine, and the current rebranded version was also fine until the client
asked for some changes then POWWWWW!

I will try and define the issue as simply as I can. I am passing 11
arguments to a function called sendSantaMail (don't ask) and as a sanity
check I have called mail() to let me know the values just before they are
passed in to the function. I get this result:

"Values to be passed to sendSantaMail:

Friend Name: Treyt
Friend Email: wonder@xxxxxxx
Sender Name: Bull Sykes
Sender Email: chancer@xxxxxxxxx
Prize ID: 1
Nominator ID: 2555004452133557e4d
Nominee ID: 851355445213355cc6f
Chain ID: CHAIN824452133561a8d"

- this is all good and correct. I also call mail from the receiving function
to check the actual values received by the function and I get this:

"Values sent into sendSantaMail function:

Friend Name: chancer@xxxxxxx
Friend Email: Look what you may have won!
Sender Name: 8 Use of undefined constant prize - assumed 'prize'
Sender Email: 158
Sender Email: /home/friend/public_html/process1.php
<chancer@xxxxxxx>Prize: 1