Re: shopping carts

On Sun, April 23, 2006 9:01 am, tedd wrote:
> This apparently is a common theme -- "I want a good basic shopping
> cart that works AND I don't want to pay over $100 for it."
>
> Well... I want a good basic car and not pay over $100 for it too.
> But, everyone knows that those two wants are mutually exclusives. My
> question is, why aren't shopping carts viewed in the same common
> sense perspective?
>
> What's the reason?

Much good stuff deleted.

I think one of the reasons goes like this:

The Internet is such a huge marketplace.

Shopping carts are so ubiquitous (sp?)

Based on sheer volume, there oughta be a fifty dolla basic shopping
cart that is easy to install and doesn't try to do everything for
everybody.

The problem is, that inevitably, each user needs "just that one feature"

Maybe it's shipping costs.

Maybe it's T-Shirt sizes that may or may not cost more.

Maybe it's quantity discounts.

Maybe it's Taxes. :-^

Maybe it's...

And, next thing you know, you've got this nasty MONSTER on your hands
of a shopping cart that nobody without a Ph.D. can figure out how to
work the damn thing.

Another aspect is this:
Why do we call it a shopping cart?

Look, a shopping cart is a goddam big basket on wheels.

What we call a "shopping cart" on-line is actually, your entire stock
catalog, fulfillment, cash register, check-out, delivery, stock
management, and internal accounting system, with credit card POS
widgets.  And baggers.

Hey.  That ain't a "shopping cart"   That's a friggin' store.

[shrug]

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm