Re: shopping carts

At 9:04 PM -0400 4/22/06, Lisa A wrote:
Do you  have any suggestions?  Right now I use the one through Paypal, but
it would be too difficult for my client to add their own  merchandise.  I
could pay more, but not much more.  Do you recommend any good ones or
someone that could write one.  OScommerce was way too hard and offer too
many options.  I don't need a powerful one like that.  Just a good basic
shopping cart, but good for client side.

and

Well I have no idea.  I can't spend $100's but hope that there would be
something out there affordable.

This apparently is a common theme -- "I want a good basic shopping cart that works AND I don't want to pay over $100 for it."

Well... I want a good basic car and not pay over $100 for it too. But, everyone knows that those two wants are mutually exclusives. My question is, why aren't shopping carts viewed in the same common sense perspective?

What's the reason?

Is it because its software and people say "Well.. you have already spent the time, so why not charge less for it or just give it away" kind of things." They don't do that with cars, they don't say "Hey, it's already built, so charge less for it."

Or perhaps they don't understand that a "good basic" solution is NOT simple, nor trivial, nor inexpensive.

Or, perhaps in their proposal to their clients they underestimated the worth of a "good basic" shopping cart?

Or, perhaps they don't want to spend their time to take a "free" shopping cart and make it work for their clients because they intrinsically know that it will take their time, which has worth to them, but at the same time don't appreciate the work of others to do the same thing?

I don't know what the reasons are, but it is one of those situations that begs the question why.

tedd