Re: Re: PHP6 just became my worst nightmare.

hi Derick,

Derick Rethans wrote:
Jochem Maas wrote:

apparently calling a dynamic function using static syntax
will cause an E_FATAL.

? That's just how OO design works... If you have a non-static method you can always have a $this-> lingering in there. Now, if you call this method with the static syntax, $this suddenly doesn't exist... Design wise trying to do something like this is just fundamentally wrong. That it was supported in PHP 5 can be considered as the bug and it was just fixed...

thank you for replying, much appreciated.

given the ammount of time I have to fix my code I think I'll be able
to figure out a way to refactor my code :-) I just had a bit of a meltdown,
thought that I had 2.5 years worth of code development go down the drain
and needed to vent (well maybe not 'needed').

I still have plenty to learn, it's hard to keep up with the amazing stuff
you guys are producing (and all to easy to get 'it' wrong).

as a average joe php programmer It was quite painful to go thru all the BC
breaking changes that occured going from php5beta2 to php5.1.2 - somethings still
irk me (like the array_merge() changes) because I don't really see the point ...
but I understand that alot of changes really were improvements. and obviously you devs
are also humans so the occasional oversight and mistake can be expected -
it must be hard developing software thats being jumped on and used by so many
people (once functionality is out there - whether it's considered broken or not -
it's difficult to get it back in the bag!)

again thanks for your reply, and keep up the good work - I for one am very much
looking forward to the new date functionality, unicode (although it scares me
****less - I guess I read too much internals mail that I don't fully understand ;-)
, static late binding and all the other great stuff that's coming our way!

kind regards,
Jochem.