Re: Spell Checker

Richard Lynch wrote:
You may find a longer (possibly better, or not) list of words in:
/usr/share/dict/web2

Or similar location.

Here is the README from that directory:

#       @(#)README      8.1 (Berkeley) 6/5/93
# $FreeBSD: src/share/dict/README,v 1.7.2.2 2002/08/20 21:42:32 alfred
Exp $

WEB ---- (introduction provided by jaw@riacs) -------------------------

Welcome to web2 (Webster's Second International) all 234,936 words worth.

I did find a wordlist named web2 that contained roughly that number of words, unfortunately it contained far too much noise to be useful for this utility. For example it had a-z as single letters instead of just 'a' and 'i' which really messed it up. Of course if I was going to use it in a production system it would evolve over time, and I might take the time to clean a wordlist such as this to remove noise like that.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.

> Dictionaries for other languages, e.g. Afrikaans, American, Aussie,
> Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Esperanto, Finnish, French,
> German, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Norwegian, Polish,
> Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Yiddish, are available
> at ftp://ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/wordlists.

The table has a field for the language. My original intention was to import wordlists in several languages and to add a language selection field to the form, but it started to seem more like work than play so I didn't bother. It would be trivial to add tho.

-Stut