Re: Spell Checker

On Tue, April 18, 2006 2:12 am, BH.VN.Viswanath wrote:
> We need to check the spelling of a word which is actually a Domain
> name. For
> example we have to check the word "onlinetradeing". When checked with
> the
> spell checkers we are getting the words which are unrelated such as
> on,
> obliterating, incinerating, intruding etc. But exactly what we want
> was
> "online trading". So we would like to have the word to be split into
> phrases
> and check the spelling too. The normal spell checkers are just
> checking the
> words in the dictionary but not splitting the word into phrases.

Okay.

Who's going to split it into words for you?...

There are only so many choices, here:

#1.
Brute force.
spellcheck('o nlinetrading');
spellcheck('on linetrading');
spellcheck('onl inetrading');
.
.
.
Plus, you have to consider that it might be THREE words in the
domainname...

This means you have WAY too many things to check.

#2.
Some human reads the domainname and types in the words.

#3.
If these are existing valid domains with content, read the HTML and
see if you can find the domain name in the content, but with spaces.
I don't think you can do this with a single regex or anything, but
it's at least in the realm of possible.

#4.
Solve the AI problem. :-)
You'd have to get the computer to "know" what words are in the
domainname, somehow, by being intelligent.

Also note that things like "nite" are not correctly spelled, but
humans have absolutely no problem with something like "goodnitesite"
and knowing that it's probably about sleeping or something of that
nature.

So your spelling check is probably useless in the first place, when
you get right down to it...

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm