Re: 2 questions: Search in array and detect JS

Ryan A wrote:
1) Is it possible to detect JavaScript via php... and yes I do know that JS
is client side while PHP is server...but how else to do it?
The reason I ask is before serving an AJAX page I would like to make sure JS
is enabled, if not, serve the other "normal page"... I am sure I am not the
first person to come accross this little problem, how did you solve it?

The way I do this is to serve the 'notmal page' first, but with the following snippet of JS in it...

<script language="javascript">
<!--
    location.href = '/url/for/ajax/page.php';
-->
</script>

That way if they have JS enabled they'll get sent to the AJAX page. If not they stay on the 'normal page'.

2) How can I search in an array for a particular word?

eg: in an array "movie" I have this kind of data:
movie_name=> some movie
cast=> Jim Carrey, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy

I want to search on either "Richard" or "Richard Pryor" (must be case
insensitive too)
something like a SELECT with a LIKE %% statement

I have been fooling around with in_array() but not getting anywhere
fast..... am I on the right track?
Links, code examples or advise would be as always....appreciated.

You should be able to craft some combination of array_walk and a custom function that checks each element with stristr to do what you need.

-Stut