Re: Text database instead of MySql (Recommendations / Advise also welcome)

Ryan A wrote:
Hey,

I have been asked to make a site that would be pretty high traffic...

quantify 'high traffic'.

problem is, no MySql.

you might consider telling the client that the implementation of a high traffic
site should not be constrained from the outset by something as petty as
MySQL not being installed?

but really it's not such a problem if you consider the possibilities of
caching generated output, possibly even using something like Squid in
reverse-proxy-cache mode (or what ever they call it).

then you have things like the APC for caching data/stuff in shared memory
(and caching compiled php files) ... oh and APC kicks ass :-)

and if your on a *nix system don't forget that you have tmpfs, usually
found at /dev/shm - which is ammounts to a RAM disk, i.e. disk IO is pretty
quick ;-)

so plenty of ways of going fast without a DB.

Although i have messed around with php's file and directory commands I have
never really made anything "really big" using them, I always used MySql,
here I dont have that choice as the server itself does not have MySql
installed.

After a bit of seaching on the SEs I found quite a few links to have text
databases and have kind of settled on this one:
PHP Text DB (http://www.c-worker.ch/txtdbapi/index_eng.php)

did you consider the sqlite extension already?

If anybody has any experience using the above, or would rather recommend
another I would appreciate a reply from you.

As usual; any advise / links would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan