Re: PHP Framework alternative ...

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 19:23, Jochem Maas wrote:
> Robert Cummings wrote:
>
> I must say that I have questions regarding the 'real' reasons behind

The most plausible real reason is to give Zend's name to a framework
that will possibly rally interest behind a single framework rather than
the multitude currently in existence. it will probably work more or less
since they will probably be packaged with PHP (unless they are going to
commercialize it -- in which case it will probably gain moderate
corporate uptake and be JAFW :).

> development of the ZF and also question (given the current state/contents of ZF)
> whether it's not destined to be JAFW ... not that that's necessarily a bad
> thing (plenty of code already in ZF that serves as an excellent primer for
> how to write decent [OO] code if nothing else :-)
>
> given your InterJinn codebase you no doubt have an opinion about ZF too,
> dare to give your take on it?

My InterJinn framework works exceptionally well for me and for my
customers. it was never wildly adopted, but then the free license is
probably overly restrictive and the philosophy behind it isn't your run
of the mill OOP (I use a service registry system). Regardless of what
happens, InterJinn has one of the most non-intrusive footprints when it
comes to general PHP code. I've had little trouble hooking it into or
wrapping it around other frameworks and codebases. Additionally with the
way it processes templates, I've been known to wrap other frameworks'
templates and source code within TemplateJinn so that I can get at the
custom tag functionality (I don't lose out on processing time since
TemplateJinn compiles templates to PHP source, and compiled templates
don't need to include InterJinn :) Either way, for me, ZF will be JAFW.
If it has good stuff, I'll use it, I'll wrap it, I'll 0wn it -- but
that's how any chunk of code should work :D

Cheers,
Rob.