Re: PHP post data

On Wed, April 5, 2006 10:33 pm, John Taylor-Johnston wrote:
> Scrolling back and forward through my PHP generated search engine,
> my browser (FF) alerts to remind me that I have post data.
> What kind of header can I add to avoid it doing that?
> Else what is the problem?

Use GET?

The basic paradigm involved is that GET should be "safe" for search
engines and bots to read and POST is used to "alter" data on the
server, so engines and bots should not, in general, crawl through
POST.

That's a generalization, and probably should be amended to "blindly
crawl" as there are obviously a zillion cases where an automated
process to do POST operations is the "right answer"

Anyway, the browser is assuming that POST data *DID* something on the
server, and re-doing that action could be harmful.  So it's giving the
user the option of re-doing it, or not.

If you use GET, the browser "knows" that you expect them to re-visit
and it's okay to re-load the page.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm