Re: simpleXML - simplexml_load_file() timeout?

Robert Cummings wrote:
On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 23:24, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
Robert Cummings wrote:
On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 23:11, Richard Lynch wrote:
On Mon, April 10, 2006 9:59 pm, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
Richard Lynch wrote:
It would be REALLY NIFTY if fopen and friends which understand all
those protocols of HTTP FTP HTTPS and so on, allowed one to set a
timeout for URLs, but they don't and nobody with the skills to
change
that (not me) seems even mildly interested. :-( :-( :-(
Because it is already there and has been since Sept.23 2002 when it
was
added.
I've added a Note to 'fopen' so maybe others won't completely miss
this feature and look as foolish as I do right now. :-)
If it's anything like the helpful note I added about using copy( source,
dest ) where dest accidentally points to source (due to linking), you'll
get a nice retarded email like the following:
You could volunteer to help maintain the user notes. It it thankless and tedious work to keep up with the flood of user notes being submitted.

I'll keep that in mind for the future when I have more free time (2 kids
under 3 is good for keeping me occupied beyond work atm :).

A huge percentage of them being either spam, product pitches or really dumb questions. The fact that occasionally a useful note gets deleted by mistake doesn't surprise me.

Point taken, just sort of feels like  slap in the face after you go to
the effort to write a useful note :)

Yes, but just keep in mind that the folks on the other end make the effort every single day to cull through hundreds of these. We have small kids and real jobs as well. I am typing this with a 4-year old sitting in my lap doing his best to make a dinosaur stomp on my keys. So while I sympathize with the fact that the work you put into this note wasn't appreciated, please recognize that you are not being very appreciative of the hundreds of hours of work the folks on the other end are putting in. In general the user notes in the manual are useful. There isn't much spam, and when something slips through it gets caught rather quickly. This stuff doesn't happen by itself.

-Rasmus