Re: simpleXML - simplexml_load_file() timeout?

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 23:35, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> Robert Cummings wrote:
>

> > I'll keep that in mind for the future when I have more free time (2 kids
> > under 3 is good for keeping me occupied beyond work atm :).
> >
> >>   A huge percentage of them being either spam, product pitches
> >> or really dumb questions.  The fact that occasionally a useful note gets
> >> deleted by mistake doesn't surprise me.
> >
> > Point taken, just sort of feels like  slap in the face after you go to
> > the effort to write a useful note :)
>
> Yes, but just keep in mind that the folks on the other end make the
> effort every single day to cull through hundreds of these.  We have
> small kids and real jobs as well.  I am typing this with a 4-year old
> sitting in my lap doing his best to make a dinosaur stomp on my keys.

Ummm, that was a sincere "I'll keep it in mind". And I know all about
typing away with a newborn sleeping on my chest, a 1 year old pawing the
screen, a 2 year old mashing the keys and cackling mischievously.

> So while I sympathize with the fact that the work you put into this note
> wasn't appreciated, please recognize that you are not being very
> appreciative of the hundreds of hours of work the folks on the other end
> are putting in.

I'm very appreciative, but at the same time, I don't feel like I
shouldn't comment on the potential of getting your note trashed like so
much spam. Don't forget, adding a note IS contributing. I usually add as
I see fit, I've added in the past, I'm sure I'll add in the future. But
now I'm a little on the twice shy side of the coin.

>   In general the user notes in the manual are useful.
> There isn't much spam, and when something slips through it gets caught
> rather quickly.  This stuff doesn't happen by itself.

Exactly, it doesn't happen by itself, neither do the notes. It's a
dovetailing arrangement. People add notes, people trim spam. It takes
both for either system to work. Agreed, though that adding notes isn't
the same as spending countless hours pruning.

Cheers,
Rob.